Tuesday, September 16, 2014

GIS Reading

I have never considered myself a map lover. Perhaps the silly name is still a bit of an exaggeration, but however after the past few reading I see room for influence. As I dive deeper into these topics I find myself more and more intrigued. How amazing is it that when different areas or aspects of studies that seem entirely unrelated can work together on something so simple as a map to portray a larger, more fascinating display of science, history, influence, change, and so much more. 

Even as the "How Maps Lie" article stated, maps are inconsistent. Even through inconsistency over time, it can be determined that something viewed as flawless and absolutely correct such as a map can be influenced by human nature of being prideful. What I mean to say is even through maps' flaws; lessons about history and human nature can be learned. 

However, I would like to bring a point up from my last post concerning the use of these techniques and theories in education. I was reminded of this point as I read from the first link, " US History Tours." The site didn't have much actual reading, yes, but it did have one very important definition so-to-speak. 
" New format traces historical developments across time, touching down on locations vital to our nations heritage and development."
If this isn't the best support of my claim; I don't know what is. The quote speaks for itself, does it not? This kind of tracing technique is "vital" to understanding, learning, and exploring our nation's complete history.  

1 comment:

  1. This is interesting. The next step is that there are different ways of using maps--what ways are most valuable for education?

    ReplyDelete