Tuesday, October 7, 2014

Catching Up 10-01

Catching Up 10-01
Web Presence

I am quite thankful for this week’s links posted. I spent a lot of my time ranting on this blog about how history not just about the ‘big names’ but also about the man in the middle and everywhere in-between. However, I forgot to consider myself in my own ideas. I am apart of history and just like I previously posted, I have done a lot of social media to promote and display my own history. History that is, for the most part, readily available to the public. It just really dawned on me that when I go in for an interview whether for the summer a few years down the road, my interviewer will already know my face and several things about me because of what he or she finds by simply googling my name.     
I found the second link and article the most helpful. I want to save and store this website for when I do begin applying for internships and jobs. I thought the advice was practical and very useful. I even googled my own name and saw a link to my old blog and  to my pinterest that surprised me and would more thank likely want to “spring clean”.

I find this all fascinating and yet scary. I feel almost that because of technology, prior judgments can be made before two people meet. In more ways than one, I feel that this opens up room for more discrimination because it opens up a large door into someone’s personal life. I found the point about whether or not to keep a twitter account very one sided. We do after all live in a country that promotes freedom of speech. I have a right to say what I want to say without fear of discrimination of a company on my own twitter feed. Should a company really not hire me if they disagree with something that I have said, believed in, or stood up for? Would I even want to be considered for a company so unconstitutional and judgmental? I know that social media is great promotion and many sites are developed to really network. But, if one has to delete and hide themselves to look ‘presentable’ to a company, is it all really worth it? By doing do are we undermining what it means to have the freedom to be who we want to be, believe what we want to believe, etc.?

No comments:

Post a Comment